How We Got The Science Of Weight Loss Wrong – With Giles Yeo
All of the calorie counts you see on food today are wrong. Obesity researcher Giles Yeo shows why calories are not created equal.
Giles’ newest book “Why Calories Don’t Count” is available now: https://geni.us/rjch7M
Watch the Q&A: https://youtu.be/S5F0x1HZSBs
Giles Yeo explores what your environment has to do with your bodyweight, the science behind why popular diets succeed, at least in the short term, and why they ultimately fail.
Dr Giles Yeo is a geneticist with over 20 years’ experience dedicated to researching the genetics of obesity. He obtained his PhD from the University of Cambridge and assisted the ground-breaking research that uncovered key pathways in how the brain controls food intake.
His current research focuses on understanding how these pathways differ from person to person, and the influence of genetics in our relationship with food and eating habits.
He is based at MRC Metabolic Diseases Unit, where he is Principal Research Associate, and is a fellow and graduate tutor at Wolfson College. Giles also moonlights as a science presenter for the BBC. He lives in Cambridge with his family.
A very special thank you to our Patreon supporters who help make these videos happen, especially:
Anthony Powers, Ben Wynne-Simmons, Ivo Danihelka, Hamza, Paulina Barren, Metzger, Kevin Winoto, Jonathan Killin, János Fekete, Mehdi Razavi, Mark Barden, Taylor Hornby, Rasiel Suarez, Stephan Giersche, William ‘Billy’ Robillard, Scott Edwardsen, Jeffrey Schweitzer, Gou Ranon, Christina Baum, Frances Dunne, jonas.app, Tim Karr, Adam Leos, Michelle J. Zamarron, Andrew Downing, Fairleigh McGill, Alan Latteri, David Crowner, Matt Townsend, Anonymous, Roger Shaw, Robert Reinecke, Paul Brown, Lasse T. Stendan, David Schick, Joe Godenzi, Dave Ostler, Osian Gwyn Williams, David Lindo, Roger Baker, Greg Nagel, and Rebecca Pan.
Thumbnail photo by Pablo Merchán Montes on Unsplash
Subscribe for regular science videos: http://bit.ly/RiSubscRibe
The Ri is on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheRoyalInstitution
and Twitter: http://twitter.com/ri_science
and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/royalinstitution
and Tumblr: http://ri-science.tumblr.com/
Our editorial policy: http://www.rigb.org/home/editorial-policy
Subscribe for the latest science videos: http://bit.ly/RiNewsletter
Product links on this page may be affiliate links which means it won’t cost you any extra but we may earn a small commission if you decide to purchase through the link.
As seen on YouTube.
Related in [Weight loss]:
- Know Your Calories Expenditure For Weight Loss ? | By Dr. Bimal Chhajer | Saaol
- തടി കുറക്കാനുള്ള ഏറ്റവും എളുപ്പ വഴി | Simple Weight Loss Tips | Malayalam Health Tips | Arogyam
- Inspiring Weight Loss Transformations
- Top 5 Supplements For Weight Loss | वजन घटाने के लिए टॉप 5 सप्लिमेंट्स | Yatinder Singh
- Doctors Labelling New Weight Loss Drug A ‘Game Changer’ | NBC10 Philadelphia
- AMAZON FITNESS HAUL – So Affordable And So Good!
- SHREDDED BROTHERS, EFSANE 3 AYLIK FİTNESS DEĞİŞİM!!
- Order A Burger And We’ll Accurately (And Surprisingly) Guess Your Hair Color
- Coronavirus En Colombia: 6.929 Nuevos Casos De Covid Y 268 Muertes
- Chris Hayes On Right-Wing’s ‘Escape From The Lab’ Theory Of Coronavirus Origin | All In | MSNBC